Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Putting the pieces together.

My Disney adventure is by no means a finished product. There are still so many questions and holes in the picture. But slowly, the puzzle is coming together. I'm still 70 days away from checking in so I'm not too worried. But I like to plan ahead, so to find out a little more always makes me happy. Here is a glimpse at a couple of the recent puzzle pieces that I have finally placed.

Roommates - Later, I will post a longer entry about the whole process of finding roommates. It's actually rather different than you'd think and warrants more time. But for now we're just gonna get to the point. Back in Late March and early April, I was talking so some people and found Nick. I asked him if he wanted to "tentatively room together," choosing my words carefully. After several weeks of talking, I think I've found a really great person to room with! We seem to get along well and  have similar interests. Nick and I started looking for other men with which to share our apartment (notice my proper grammar there? haha!). We meet a pair of guys (Chris and Benji) who were planning on rooming together and finally were able to decide 100% that we would all like to share an apartment. We all seem to get along well, so that's good! Now we're in the process of decided if we want to stick with just the four of us, or add two more. More on this later!

Classes - Disney offers several classes during the Disney College Internship. They are not required but they definitely are very useful classes with many applications. Some colleges require students to take classes while doing the internship, other colleges don't care. Since I'm graduated, it really doesn't matter for me. When I first looked at the classes, there were two that stuck out to me. But ultimately, I decided that I wasn't going to take any. You see, interns that don't take classes on average get more work hours, and I wanted as many work hours as possible. But then upon re-evaluating it, I decided that I would indeed take a class. I signed up for Disney Heritage Exploration. It's a free class, that only meets once a week for eight weeks. It looks at a brief history of the Disney brothers and the Walt Disney Corporation. It should be interesting!

Moving - The trip down to Florida is gonna be an experience that I've never had before. The only thing that comes close was when we took a family vacation to Mississippi and drove down. But even then, we took several days to get to Mississippi. My trip to Florida will be a two day drive. One of my best friends who lives in Florida will be flying up, and driving down with me. We will drive half way on the first day, find a place to spend the night, and then drive the second half on the second day. Recently, some cousins just moved to Georgia. So I contacted them to see if we could possibly stay with them for the night, instead of getting a hotel. They said so long as their house, which is currently under construction, is done, they would be more than happy to give us a place to stay. If this works out, day 1 will be fifteen and a half hours in the car. Day 2 will only be about eight and a half. My cousins' house is a little out of the way, but I'm not complaining.

Those are the main (and recent) things. I think I'll be writing an entry about what exactly the internship is. I know all the people going to Disney already know this. But I have some family and friends who don't necessarily know the details. So for their sake, my next entry (or one of the future entries) will be all the basic info about the internship.

No comments:

Post a Comment