Tuesday, May 24, 2011

And an idea was born

I don't remember the first time I thought about the Disney College Program, or how it even came to me. I was a freshman or sophomore in college and looked into it a little. For some reason, I never seriously looked into it though. Partly because, at my school, with my major, it was pretty much impossible to take a semester away. I was already going to be at the school for 5 full years, I didn't want to make it more. So, I pushed it out of my mind. It popped up every  now and then as a possibility for later in my college career. But still, never anything serious. Then my fifth year rolled around, and I decided that I would apply for the hell of it for the semester after I graduated. Low and behold, I was accepted in mid-February.

Here's the rundown of the application process. First, you have to attend a presentation. However, there is also an online presentation that you can view. The actual presentation is better as it's live and you can ask questions and get answers immediately. But for me, this wasn't an option. The closest presentations were at least a half hour a way and during the middle of the day when I was student teaching. So I just watched the online presentation. Once you have completed that, you receive a code that you can use in your application. The second part is then the application. It's online, and pretty simple. Once that has been submitted, you must complete the fourth part which is what they call a "web-based interview." All it is is a series of generic questions about your personality and how you might react to certain situations. At the end of this, I was told that I am a "strong candidate" and was asked to call Disney to set up the fourth and final part of the application process. This last part is an interview over the phone. This interview took about 10 minutes is all. The bulk of the conversation was talking about my top three choices of what role I wanted to work. Disney supplies you with a list of possible roles to choose from. My top three (in the order I wanted them) were Main Entrance Operations, Merchandise, and Attractions. We talked about them, and a few other things. And that was that. Then it takes 3-4 weeks to get the results. I waited only 2. I received an email saying I was accepted and my role would be Main Entrance Operations (my top choice!!). And then a few weeks later, I received the coveted Purple Folder, which is the official internship offer. Once you've been accepted, you must accept the offer within a few weeks. It's a pretty simple process, at least, I thought so.

No comments:

Post a Comment