Friday, August 9, 2013

Two years later

Today's the day! Two years ago today, I was checking in to my college program. I was moving over 1000 miles away from home, with no idea if it would be permanently or just for a semester. There were many unknowns. For me, that's a big deal, but I decided to take the leap anyway. Who knew what would happen?!

"It's been crazy..."

Not only was my college program crazy but the past two years have been crazy as well. I never dreamed that I would still be here. "Crazy" has turned into normal day-to-day business. Disney, as of right now, is  my career. I'm excited to see where I will end up. I started my college program as a park greeter at Disney's Hollywood Studios. I enjoyed my program very much. The role could get monotonous, I will admit. Constantly helping people enter the park or waving goodbye as they exit. There was not much more variety than that. But the people, that's where it's at! The other college students I worked with, as well as the part- and full-time cast members, were such a great group! I miss them all so much! I made some very lasting friendships and am glad for being placed in that role. After my college program, I was selected for a professional internship. Here, I was coming in for a "normal" desk job, 8-5. I was answering phones and emails, helping program participants with any questions or issues they may have. I was sitting in on security and roommate meetings. I filled out paperwork for participants leaving the program early. It could not have been any more different than my first role. Again, I met so many wonderful people and learned so much about the company's inner workings. I loved every minute of it. When this internship ended, I was relieved and to have been offered a full-time Host position at Toy Story Midway Mania, back in Disney's Hollywood Studios. Here, I learned as much as I could, and continue learning every day. I have become a trainer, and can now impart my knowledge to the new toys as they come in. Again, it's a whole different ball game from my other two roles, but I love it just as much. And now, I'm also trained at Voyage of the Little Mermaid and Disney, Jr. Live on Stage. I can't believe it's been over a year as a Host. Time has flown by. It really has been "crazy."

"I felt lost for the first time on my trip." ... "But I got through it."

I can't say I'm entirely happy with where I am. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy where I am and what I'm doing. I was simply hoping that I would be a little further into the process by now. I guess I'm just impatient. To work up into any company, it takes time. And I know my time is coming. Sometimes though, I just get down a little bit. I feel like I'm not doing something right. I see other people starting their ascent up into the ranks and then I see myself still basically at entry level. But patience is a virtue, right? I will admit, sometimes I feel lost in general though. It starts with the fact that I have not moved up as far as I want. But then that gets me thinking about why I'm here in general. Was it really the right choice to move over 1000 miles away on a whim? What am I doing here? And why am I so far away from my family? But after a little while, I feel better. I've met so many people an done so many things that I would not have otherwise had the chance to do! I love that I've had this experience and am excited for the future.

"We got the complex we wanted."

Since being here in Florida, I've lived in several different places. During the college program, I lived with five other guys on the college program property. We lived in the newest of the complexes, which is the one we wanted. I loved it! The complex itself was quiet and, since it was new, was very nice. I loved living with my five roommates, and I loved being close to my other friends. If they weren't in the same complex, the other complexes were pretty close. It feels very much like college dorms in the community sense. When that program ended, I moved in with three different guys. We moved to an apartment complex down the road, in Kissimmee. The apartments were nice enough. I loved the location. But the living situation was not the best. I decided to move out after five months rather than endure the uncomfortableness for the entire year-long lease. At this point, I moved into a newer complex near the college program housing in Orlando. I loved these apartments. The location was not quite as good, but still very close to work. I moved in with two friends that I worked with during my professional internship. Here, I stayed the entire year-long lease. I won't lie, some of it was frustrating, on my end as well as theirs. But we got through. Up till now, except for my college program roommates, the other two situations were not the best for me. However, when the previous lease was over, I moved yet again. I moved back to the first complex in Kissimmee with the great location. This time, I moved with one guy and one girl, both of which I knew from Toy Story. It's been a great situation. We all get along and when we have issues, we can talk candidly to each other. I will admit, we don't really see each other at all. The girl now works at another location, with an opposite schedule of me. I saw here yesterday for the first time in weeks when she stopped by at my work. The guy I still work with, however we are now both trained at other, different locations so we don't see each other much during work. And after, we both have significant others and spend a lot of time with them. No big deal though! We make it work. And it seems to be working well at that!

"We did all of our working documents and such."

With everything that has happened, I have definitely become an "adult." With no longer being under my parents' roof as well as no longer being 18, I've had to do things for myself. Don't get me wrong, I did a lot of things for myself before. But since being in Florida, I've had to do a lot of "grown-up" things that I never had to do by myself before. I have life insurance now! I had to research and get my own auto insurance, as well as renters insurance. Since being full-time, I now have benefits with the company which include dental, vision, and health insurance. I had to research all of those and pick what was best for me. For the first time ever, I've had paid vacation time, which is exciting! Now that I'm graduated, I have had to start paying back my student loans. And up next on my list is looking for a new car. I'm still trying to decide if I want to buy a new car this fall, or next spring. But I'm currently researching cars and all that buying a car entails!

"But that brings you up to date on everything."

So what's next you may ask? Well here is a brief look at some things that I have in mind for the future.

I'm hoping to become a relief coordinator and then a status coordinator in my area. These are the people who supervise the attraction hosts and hostesses. Relief is a person who is trained as a coordinator, but still works as a host. Status is a person who works only as a coordinator. I think by the end of the year, I will be a relief coordinator At least, that is my goal. Future goals include getting into leadership/management. They also include possibly looking into casting, recruiting, or college program roles.

I'll be living where I am now until May 2014. After that, it's unclear what will happen. I will start figuring it out early next year. However, I am hoping that the next time I move, it might be a little more permanent, and not another apartment to rent.

I'm also looking into going back to school. Right now it's just an idea. I have not actually started looking into it. I don't know if it will be another bachelor's degree or if it will be a master's degree. And I don't know where. However, Disney has a pretty good education reimbursement plan so why not look into it, right?

One very important thing I have not really mentioned yet is Nick. Nick and I have been dating almost the entire time that I've been in Florida. I was not actively looking for anybody when Nick came into my life, but things just fell together and I wouldn't change any of it. Nick really is the one person who can keep me sane and keep me on track. I don't know what I'd do without him. I am excited for our future together. Maybe I convince him to come with me next time I head home!

Hopefully that brings everybody up to date one my life. It's probably one of the longest blogs I've written in quite a while. PS the quotes I've used were from my blog I posted two years ago about checking into the college program, just in case you were curious.


No comments:

Post a Comment