Sunday, November 27, 2011

To Infinity and Beyond!

So my college program is coming to a close. It is over on January 6th. Back in October, I started looking for the next step. I saw several different avenues, and began following three of them. I was also going to pursue one or two more, but it never came down to that.

The first avenue was a temporary assignment. It would have been for the spring, and to do it, I would also have to have a "home" position (as part time or full time). The temporary assignment would be working for Magic Music Days and the students who come down to perform. I turned in my application and was given an interview. At the interview, part one was to give a presentation. After, 50 percent of the people are asked to stay for a question/answer section. I was one to be asked to stay and went in for the interview. One week later I received a call. Unfortunately, I did not get it.

The next avenue was extending my current program. During that application process, I was able to pick my preference on position. I could choose to stay where I am currently working or ask to be moved. I really wanted to work attractions so I put that down as my first choice. I put down custodial for my second choice. And then for my third, I asked to stay where I am.

At the same time I was applying for the extension, I was also applying for a Professional Internship. These are much more prestigious and competitive. There are far fewer positions compared to the college internships. I applied for a few internships that were for College Program Alumni. I received a phone call asking to set up an interview for one of them and went in later that week.

One day I heard back from the extension saying that I was chosen to extend and would be moved to attractions. I was really excited, but I had to give them an answer by the end of the week. I still had not heard back from the Professional Internship. I did not want to commit to the extension and then also receive the Professional Internship. On the other hand, I did not want to deny the extension and then not receive the other internship and then be out on both. I was freaking out just a little because I did not know when I would hear back from the Professional Internship.

One hour after I received the notification of the extension, I received a phone call and was offered the Professional Internship! Needless to say, I was ecstatic! So now, I did accept the Professional Internship. The title of the internship is the College and International Program Housing Office Coordinator. I'll be doing a lot of different things. I will no longer be located in any of the Disney parks; instead, I'll be in one of the living complexes, in an office. I'm very excited for it! When I interviewed, they said this position was a nice springboard into leadership and management.

The internship pays more and I will be getting more hours. I'll still get the same benefits as I do now. The new internship is from January until the beginning of June. After that, we'll see what comes my way! I will be signing a year-long lease with some friends. So at the very lease, I'll be here in Florida until the end of 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment