Friday, September 9, 2011

MLID: closing shifts

As I stated yesterday, I only work nights (as of now). I'm assuming once more interns come, my seniority will go up and I'll start getting some days. But for now, closing shifts it is. Which is fine. I enjoy them.

Yesterday, I stated that I enjoy working closing shifts. For the most part, this is true. But there are a few things that I don't enjoy about it. The first thing is because I work late, I don't get social time. Not that I want a lot of social time, but most of my friends work days. Or, by the time I'm done with my shift, I'm too tired to go out. Not to mention all the parks are closed. I don't get to watch the nightly shows unless it's my day off. But at the same time, this may be a blessing in disguise. I don't want to get burnt out going to the parks all the time. So perhaps this helps that cause. On the opposite side of the shift, I start in the early afternoon normally. That means, I don't have much time before my shifts to hang out with people. A lot of the college students sleep in late so by the time everybody is up and ready to do something, I have an hour or two is all before I have to get ready for work. So again, the social aspect goes out the window. I mean, I make time to for social activities, and I try to fit things in where I can. I just miss not having some nights off.

The other part I don't like about closing shifts is that I rarely get to work my entire shift. We are scheduled until two hours after the park closes. About thirty to forty-five minutes after the park closes, we are sent to clear the park. Sometimes it takes the entire time. But, more times than not, the park is cleared early. Once the park is cleared, we are normally sent home early. Sometimes this is only fifteen minutes early, sometimes thirty minutes. Rarely it is forty-five minutes early. This week alone, I am down almost two hours for the week from being sent home early. On one hand, I don't mind being sent home early, but on the other hand, I want to work as much as possible! I need the money to pay back school loans!

No comments:

Post a Comment